Hi everyone! I hope you are all well and having an amazing day. Today I’ll be doing the Goodreads Was Wrong Book Tag! I originally found it over on Madame Writer’s blog, and I’ve been thinking about Goodreads a lot lately and specifically why I use it, and what I want to get out of it. I’m thinking these questions might help me answer those questions!
1. What is the highest rated book that you gave a low rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on Average Ratings and find the highest rated book you gave a low rating).
Obsidio – 4.51 on GR I gave 3
Unfortunately I just felt like this series just lost its luster for me after book 1, which I really loved. I know I’m in the unpopular opinion here though!
2. What is the lowest rated book that you gave a high rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on Avg Ratings, in reverse order, and find the lowest rated book you gave a high rating).
Blood and Honey – 3.70 on GR I gave 5
This is one where I genuinely don’t understand the bad reviews. Granted, Serpent and Dove is one of my favourite books but I feel like this had everything I could want in a sequel! You can see my review of it here
3. What is the most popular book you disagree with the avg rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on number of Ratings, and find the first book you disagree with the avg rating)
Lord of the Flies – 3.69
I think part of this low rating is that many are forced to read this for school so don’t enjoy it as much. But I really like this book!
4. What is the least popular book you disagree with the avg rating? (Sort your books in Goodreads based on number of Ratings, in reverse order, and find the first book you disagree with the avg rating).
Ten Rules for Faking It – 3.66
This is a recent read for me and its one where I didn’t check the GR before. But it’s definitely now one of my favourite romances ever!
5. Choose two books that have an average rating of 3/5 stars but you gave a higher rating.
The Beautiful & The Fate of the Tearling
6. Choose two books that have an average rating of 3/5 stars but you gave a lower rating.
99 Per Cent Mine & Permanent Record
7. Choose two books that have an average rating of 4/5 stars but you gave a lower rating.
Our Dark Duet & The Vanishing Stair
8. Choose two books that have an average rating of 2/5 stars but you gave a higher rating.
I couldn’t answer this one as I have only read books that are 3 stars or more!
9. Do you tend to agree or disagree with GR average rating and do you use GR as a guide for books you want to read?
Most of the time I do agree, however I also think I place too my weight on a Goodreads rating. If it is 3.99 or less, I automatically don’t think it’ll be a favourite. Which I know is completely ridiculous! Some of my favourite books of all time are less than 4 stars (Caraval, Blood & Honey, Ten Rules for Faking It, etc). I’m tempted to stop looking at the rating before I read a book so I go in with absolutely no judgement, like I used to when I would just go into the bookshop and grab something that interested me rather than spend ages searching online for reviews and ratings.
What do you think to my answers and are there any that you agree or disagree with? Let’s chat in the comments! I’d also love to hear your thoughts on how much weight you put on Goodreads reviews before you pick up a book, or if you think they effect your rating in any way.